Sunday, October 7, 2012

No Carpal Tunnel here.....

Since returning from one of the most EPIC trips of my life, Whistler, I have literally been on my bike ONCE and run outside TWICE and as of yesterday...punched back into the gym ONCE. It has become quite apparent that due to a pretty jammed work schedule to accomodate folks demands after a week away at play...there was really minimal time to get OUT to play. Also doesn't help the situation that my regular buddy of exercise inspiration is recovering from his injuries compliments of a table top gone wrong while in whistler.

So...it appears my wife...yup...my wife is my new catalyst, effectively motivating me to get my ass back in gear. Also...I have noticed a pretty significant ache in my right shoulder and may be coming to the conclusion that this AC separation from last year is going to remind me when I become too sedentary. I did indicate I was going to stop this blogging but as I sit here on a Sunday early a.m. sipping the newest coffee blend for Tassimo, I realized...this "journalling" helps me get my ass back into the equation.

Since my last entry...15 k run may have had an impact that proved negative to my immune system...perhaps it was my little nephews that decided to share their cold...who knows, however, I have been battling the usual chest cold that seems to rear it's ugly head every once in a while. From the DOMS associated with last monday's run (lasted a solid 3 days) and this cold...this cat really got reaquainted with why I do not watch television the past week. So, when Saturday morning came and my wife indicated she was going to the gym....enough was enough...back to our previous saturday ritual it was. We loaded up the kiddies and treked over to Goodlife.

Plan was straight forward. Punch in for 40 min cardio...keep it super mellow to keep chest and congestion from spiraling outta control. Felt good to be back inside...weird...cross trainer and run on treadmill done. Now over to the freeweights. Picked up the 25 pounders and performed some super slow eccentric reps unilaterally with a good burn occurring at 13 out of the 15 reps per side...good sign..just stuck with one set as it has been a hell of a long time since I punched in here. Moved on to some "skull crushers" with a 60 lb curl bar...felt gooood. Kept eyeing the squat rack but this was heavily tied up by two freaks of nature squatting waaaaaay more than any human being really needs to...always interested to know what profession these dudes are in when I see like 6 plates a side on the bar?!?!?!? This was where it became very real...I picked up 30 lb dumbells and positioned myself for some controlled bench press.....eeeeesh...did not feel good.....with each rep...each very shallow and controlled rep...a grimace....stopped at 10 and took a mental note of this looking forward to a month from now when I am progressing back to bigger pain free reps ;)

With shoulder ache now present and being very cogniscant of this fact I nudged in to the pulley's..2.5 pound reps of horizontal abduction was...tender with the right...focused on quality of movement..moved onto external rotation at neutral and flex/abdution...yup...still tender and then it happened...started some reps internal rotation with same light weight in flex/abduction and shoulder REALLY FELT GOOD. Mobility improved significantly into external rotation with each super slow eccentric. I think I found the cause for discomfort...back to basics I presume...capsular patter tightness...don't need to spend bucks having a therapist facilitate this...found the exercise to make errrr happen. Got cocky and added a bit of weight and started to perform some PNF patterns...back to the same discomfort...but....felt good to punch in regardless.

Behaved at friends of ours last night and refrained from overindulging in food and drink for a full blown thanksgiving dinner. Congestion is back and I am going to do everything I can to eat and drink well for remainder of this weekend to ensure recovery of all things evil occurs. A big week coming up.....gym, I am hoping will be one method to keep my mind and body communicating in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment