Monday, July 19, 2010

Off to PA with the familia

I've taken and made it standard luggage now, no matter where we go and how long we're away. I'm referring to mounting a bike on the roof of the family car, whether it's a quick rip up to the cottage or a lengthier stay at friends of ours in Easton Pennsylvania.

I scoped out some of the local trail builders (VMB) and bike shops and graciously took an invite from a 23 yr old downhiller for a tour of what I would have to peg as some of the most exciting trails that I have come across: http://www.bikevmb.com/node/4178

The only tricky part was coordinating my wife's shopping, girl bonding, kiddy time on tours of the crayola factory, a steam engine ride and a mining expedition. Also informed of a golfing tourny with an American vs Canadian theme....hard to pass up and yes, kicked that yankee assss!

So what I hoped to get, 2 rides in, turned into a beauty sun chasing ripper of Walking Purchase in Bethlehem. To get there, meant coordinating some challenging and sketchy streets to surface at a surreal looking park at the top of a San Fran type city street climb. Once arrived met some local riders who were interested to see we(my 24 hr partner also was dragged to this girl get together) were from Ontario and we chit chatted about the usual banter. On to the trails..

This younster "Ryan" was raving about the down hill scene and was talking about his french made (can't recall) 8" rig he loves to ride...Chris and I already were convinced this kid was going to spank us, but I had other ideas......:) We headed out, Chris on his Kona Coil Air, Ryan on his Racing Giant Hard Tail and me on what was soon coined the PERFECT bike for these trails. We started down into the first decent of what was called the "Outer Loop". The downs kept going down...could tell Ryan was a DH'r as he was flowing up the trails with Vigor. Kept on his ass though:)

First break came and we were grinning from ear to ear. The downs kept switching and transitioning along this what seemed to be a pretty decent hill. Watched Ryan do a few headers and some wash outs.........thought to myself.....not much of a technical rider.....and finally made it to bottom. Some banter was exchanged and I challenged all to a dab free climb when Ryan indicated it was pretty technical...he actually challenged me to a 10 dollar wager that I couldn't clean the climb......that fueled my desire to mount and rip it up.....a grin ear to ear and sweat POURING in the 36 plus degree weather the top came quicker than expected. About 5 minutes later I see Ryan pushing his bike....hard to resist my enthusiasm, while balancing on a tree to ensure I didn't risk a pre-mature dab I said, Is that IT???? He gladly extended an arm to seal the deal but i quickly said no worries, no need for cash, just credits to go towards future wagers...*SMILE*

More climbing and an amazing boulder rock garden later we arrived at the top...feeling super strong. Good times...only wish I had the luxury of time to check out more to these trails..apparently Leigh Valley has some pretty great technical climbs.

So haven't ridden since Friday evening and the 8 hr is coming quick. Planning on riding with Fil (road) tomorrow to spin out the legs and then probably Wednesday (mountain) to ensure bike is still ready for wknd..need to replace brake pads and break them in for wknd....Tommy is going to podium (smile) and I'm hoping to get top 50% in my category (solo under 40). Feeling this is going to happen. Anticipating rain......given history and will be pleasantly surprised if sunny. Stats:

1 hour 26 min...."advanced riders do this trail in 60 to 90 minutes".....sweeet WITH breaks that were "unnecesary" in my opinion.
Avg HR 155 max 178...batteries working now :)
In zone 36 above 48
1110KCal
14.8 km....heat and terrain....sufficiently fatigued and boost of ego as well :)
Avg spd 10.3, Max 31.3

Ride Time 1 Hr: 25 min....about a 5 min break at 3 miles in

No comments:

Post a Comment