Friday, April 22, 2011

It began easy and mellow...and then there was "DAN"

Loaded up with a bunch of Freakonomics podcasts and two bottles, one with Heed and the other with a 2 hour Perpetuum Cafe Latte, I headed out into an effortless tailwind north for an undefined route. Knowing the heavens were going to unleash the wrath of fury this wknd, I knew one thing...this ride would be more than 70 km..

It was borderline warm and the podcast was some chewy fodder for distraction. About 30 k into the ride this dude rolled alongside me and was pretty excited to come across another rider. He was trailing me the whole way from Kingston. The thoughts were going through me head...ok....just remove ONE earpiece....that way he may get the hint that I'm in a zone and want to keep it that way....nope....he kept on talking. I quickly determined this guys was a good cat and after telling him of my route, he didn't even hesitate NOT to join...liking him even more as the route that I was forecasting would be close to 100 k.

North on Hwy 15 we went. A couple rights a left and a final right and smack into a headwind we went. This guy all of a sudden starts picking up the tempo..It wasn't breakneck but definitely a good pull. I did my best to trade off the draft but have to say he pulled the majority of the way. All in all, a solid 87 k in 3 hours with the final 20-30 k being an all out hammer fest INTO a head wind. Tired...Easter wknd...relax...stats:

Timex: 3 hours 10 minutes, 3 hours 1 minute ride time
In zone - 1 hr 11 min
Avg HR 151 bpm; Peak 184
Calories 2838 cal
avg spd 28.8
max 56.9
avg cad 93; max 106

Parting comment...Kingston is FLAT...I miss SC...damn you tommy...

No comments:

Post a Comment