Saturday, April 21, 2012

Virgin Garmin ride

First ride with the Garmin and up at 4 am to review the data :)

Was on my way home on Friday from a day that included just shy of 6 hrs drive time required for work, when I get a bbm from a regular riding buddy....it was simple and to the point...."Ride?". It was like he could read my mind as I was going through all of those internal scenarios in my head about whether I should skip out for a quick road or mountain before the wife and kiddies get home. Had narrowed it down to a mountain for a couple of reasons....the may flies are getting thick this time of year and there is no fun in putting the head down and breathing while placing a hand in front of the nose and mouth at times to prevent these little nusances from clogging up nose and turning into a rather unpleasant "snack". Also...didn't have dbl sided tape to attach the cadence sensor on my crank blah blah blah...was going to be easier to click the Garmin 705 onto the mt bike and just soak up the 20 plus degree temp.

Quick confirmation on time and mode led to the usual pre-ride discussions.....This guy is a speedster...Pulmonary edema and rock star lifestyle not withstanding....this guy is still fast..did I mention he is one of the team members for the 24 ;) This is a good thing. I love it when we both agree that, "yeah...this is gonna be a slow one"..for him...due to a late night...and me...want to geek out to Garmin features while riding and ease the new wheelset into it's maiden voyage....started out this way...for about 10 minutes in anyways.

I was anticipating the usual ride of EFT which generally consists of about an hour and change...but an "option was presented". "Hey....how are you for time today" was the question...translation...lets add some extra trail/km to the usual mix and pretty glad that we did, other than the fact I would have benefited from more than 1 water bottle and perhaps a bit more nutrition for the extra 20 k.

A rip'n and a tearin' was performed with a link up of the trail available at Parrot's Bay. A good ride was had...now...how to link up the Garmin data to this....

No comments:

Post a Comment