Friday, June 11, 2010

Another successful bike commute

From my door, actually garage, to the clinic door is exactly 39.7 km. Given the weather forecast and the fact that some family activites are planned over the weekend, I decided to maximize my potential for ride time by getting a bike commute to/from work today.

What a cool experience en route.....luckily that rolling dark cloud that was coming in from the south was just fog and condensation, there was. It reminds me of the mist machines that are in Vegas that keep the skin moist with beads of water...Found that riding on the road without vision/aid of corrective lenses, due to fog is not only manageable but PREFERABLE....really reconsidering Lasik now.... Strange that with my prescription sunglasses I feel closer to the ground and without....taller...must be something to that...

I though for sure I was going to PB my time to work this morning because I never came out of the big ring and attacked all of the hills.....man I respect consistently fast road riders...didn't better my hour 21 min which makes me think I may have delayed the polar start the day it recorded this PB, cause today, I felt REAL good. Work was busy, therefore fast and other than educating a young girl and her mother about....here it goes.

13 yr old girl is playing soccer with her day..this girl does not look too athletic. Girl "injures" herself while playing, mother indicates it was a "dislocated patella". They go to the ER and informed she "hairlined fractured her femur" and was casted. Follow-up in three days with pediatric ortho who reviews xrays and indicates no fracture but concerned regarding knee and orders an MRI. In meantime removes cast and replaces with an immobizer brace. Mother and daughter consult with me to request a new brace (currently has an immobilizer or in other words keeps her knee if full extension) in a white or black color to "blend in for grad in 6 weeks"???

OK, this 13 year old girl has been immobilized since May 1st...thats almost 6 WEEKS!!!!! Her knee is significantly atrophied and unable to flex. x-ray's have already ruled out fracture. Essentially told this mother and daughter to get this freaking brace off, book assessment with our PT and start regaining range of motion and strength...MRI OR NOT...that was my last appt of the day..someone dropped the ball on this one...helped her pick it back up....crazy. bit of a tangent...could do this daily with some of the stuff that comes through work but BACK to Stats:

TO WORK:Road bike
1 hr 23 min
146 avg; 174 max
In zone 1 hr 2 min above 20 min
961 Kcal
39.7 Km
Avg spd 28.6; max 44.2
Avg CAD 91; Max 106

FROM WORK:
1 hr 29 min...kinda tired and that usual head wind...small ringin'
137 Avg...slackin/mental fatigue??163 max
In ZOne 1 hr 22 min...more aerobic...a good thing :) above 4 min
934 KCal
38.7 km...take a short cut on way home...wow a Km difference?!
Avg spd 25.9; max 50.8
avg Cad 87; max 107

Holy SHIT...14 days until the 24 hr.......feeling good about it. My 24 hr partner is also doing some riding.....should be a good one. One thing DOES need to happen though...absence of rain.

Plan. mow the lawn, change in plans perhaps re: dock at cottage, therefore Ride somewhere on Sunday preferably mountain. Oh yeah and finish this beer and my wifes which I see is still 3/4 full before it goes warm

No comments:

Post a Comment