Saturday, June 5, 2010

Work Commute Friday

I live in Kingston on the West Side and hop in my car every morning and drive to Gananoque either via the 401 (if running late) or cruise through town and take a beautiful route along the water via Hwy 2. Hwy 2 just so happens to be a major artery for linking in some great road riding. As weather was looking pretty bleak for Thursday, I decided to forgoe my regular Mt ride on Thursday and bring some gear to work and enough lunch to enable a ride to/from work. Good choice.

The weather was, in a word......Choice both ways. I felt strong and pretty fast on the way there but....always a but in Kingston due to the consistent headwind that travels from the west, the ride back had moments of "struggle". I kept telling myself, COME ON, this is only an hour and a half TOPS, and you have consistently rode for 7 plus hours in 8 hour events and longer in 24's....It's just something about the road bike and that bloody flexed position. Who's kidding who...it's really about advil the right dose of caffeine to make a road ride...."special".

Was pretty wiped when I got home last night, off to the carni fair for my oldest as she was about to lose her mind if she didn't get to ride the ferris wheel and then to Canadian Tire to price out trampolines. Oh yeah, Boating safety course tent set up.....oh yeah passed the bloody thing without opening a book.....barely....that should keep my mother off my back when I go to the cottage this wknd :) Stats:

Ride TO work:
1 hour, 21 minutes (door to door)...personal best
avg HR 155 bpm; max 178
In zone 30 min above 50 min
1057 KCal
39.6 Km
Avg spd 29.2.....man getting an avg 30 plus k/hr is a CHORE!!! but my GOAL!!
Max 47.6
Avg Cad 94; Max 108

Ride FROM work:
1 hour, 26 min....hmmm not bad with a headwind and how I was feeling
avg HR 149; max 179
In Zone 59 min; above 26
1037
39.6 km
Avg spd 26.9
Max 49.2
Avg Cad 89; max 106

Plan....looking like a rest weekend.....Bringing kids to an event at their daycare with jumping castle, facepainting etc and then off to the cottage for some beer drinking and steak eatin and hopefully getting the dock in. Who's kidding who......ride on sunday.

OH YEAH!!! neighbour pops over last night and asks if I'd be interested in a bike.......well, as my current set up for trucking around the kids in their bike stroller to/from park etc is via my Italian rigged Fondriest.....welcomed the idea. Checked out the bike and found it's an Old school Peugot with shimano 105.......in GREAT SHAPE....sweet. Tuned and cleaned it up and is now getting to know it's younger whipper snappers the Giant Trance X2 and Fondriest Mega Plus...hope they're getting along out there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment