Saturday, February 26, 2011

24 Hour SOLO motivation :)



I knew I had a limited amount of opportunity to clock in for a long ride today given the agenda that was planned so....tested the waters and decided it would be best to get a spin in while Jac took the kids to gymnastics. Now....I'm not a bad parent.....I have been going to the kid's gymnastics consistently every Saturday. It's great to see Lauren from a distance, as she is in an upper level class, and helping coax Emms with some of the activities (Jac is a "hand holder" and is with her the ENTIRE duration). So....that leaves me....kind of watching....on the floor instead of the other parents up in the window'd balcony. All that being said....it was a good time to capture this time to get a spin in so I could...RELAX and enjoy the rest of the evening.

Time for some reflection. Why am I doing what I'm doing......it's important to ask every once in a while.....and....I'm not sure. What I AM sure of is I wish I had MORE time to do it with MORE resources at my disposal i.e a second road and mountain bike for poor weather (OUTDOOR OPTIONS). Realistically....if money grew on trees...for sure, I'd be outside vs inside and actually making some forward motion and potentially having quite a bit more fun doing this as well. The reality, I will be participating in the three 8 hour solo and HANSOLO with my single mountain bike with which I feel I do keep expertly maintained. In all out ideals it would look like this....two bikes...one Anthem and one Trance. The Anthem with slightly less travel and a more aggressive set-up for just shits and giggles of going fast at the beginning of events and the Good trustworthy Trance for long training rides and also as a spare bike for night laps during 24's. Essentially two bikes for the luxury of buttery smooth drive trains and squeal free bikes every lap ;)

More reflection.....The real deal is this..Winter has been good for health (always seem to get one chest cold that kicks my ass for one to two weeks...this year it was a head cold and lasted 2 MONTHS) The good news is that it only interrupted 3 regular spin sessions with the only other "disruption" being a trip out East to visit the inlaws and that is far from a negative impact to training. Consistency has been good....on the trainer....that being said I am SOOOO looking forward to unleashing this fitness in positive temps (rain or shine..I DON'T CARE)

And the last bit o reflectin'....this season I have has pretty much confirmed/solidified my participation in the Spring, Summer and Fall 8 Solo category (under 40 age group) with the most effective test of wills and body, HANSOLO near the end of season. In reality....if placing in these events is good, and good means continual improvements from past years results, then I think I will owe it to myself to make that "ideal situation" noted above to become reality for NEXT season :) I can only imaging how Tommy (yeah you buddy) felt stepping onto that third place podium last year....I'm thinking that taste of victory has made you a mad man...my only question is this.....why not FOCUS on the 8 hour series THIS year and kick some ass man. Ever wonder what standing on the FIRST PLACE podium feels like :))))) We'll talk in SC BABY

Hmm..I guess I never did figure "WHY" I do this.....maybe I can figure this out during my rides in the EPIC 8's and won't even THINK of having THAT conversation during the 24.......for obvious reasons ;) The conclusion I've come to so far is that it just feels goooood and has a positive reflection on aspects of my life OFF of the bike as well. 'Nough said and time to post some stats from my mellow aero ride this a.m.:

1 hr 11 min
137 avg ; 160 max HR
In zone - 1 hr 5 min; above 4 min; below 1 min
727 Kcal
Avg Cad 79; max 100.....I did say "mellow" right ;)

I forgot to add that I was using Fil's Kinetic trainer and came to the conclusion that the Fluid in the trainer is a little more "forgiving" when it is the warmth of a basement vs the frozen tundra conditions of the garage.



Oh yeah...plan...I need to recruit Shawn for a spin tomorrow..let's see if he's game :)

No comments:

Post a Comment