Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cyclist rear ended...first on scene

ADRENALINE!!!!!! I'm just leaving a satisfying consult with a client who will benefit greatly from a lateral compartment OA brace when I hear this eerie.....POP!!!!! The sound of a rear wheel being destroyed by a late series mini van. I "B-LINED" it across the road and hit the four way flashers not knowing what to expect. Luckily he wasn't too badly broken...his bike on the other hand....not so good.

The driver of the van who hit him was obviously in shock and was staying in his vehicle...probably from the fact that I was shooting non-verbals in a "DON"T FUCKING COME ANY CLOSER" kind of fashion....fellow man down..instinct. Of course, I didn't bring my cell phone with me....My first words were to the cyclist down asking him if he was ok...he was doing his own self assessment at this stage...we all know the kind....body scan...moving each joint...all's good....some real good road rash appears to be all as far as I know..

The driver of the van gets out..I point at him and practically yell....YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE?? CALL 911!!!!!...apparently this may have shaken him as he retreated back to his vehicle. He decides to move his van that was once protecting the down cyclist from traffic to the SIDE OF THE ROAD?!?!?!?!?! passing motorists are calling 911...everyone that asks if someone has called is retorted with a NO, please call...VERY IMPRESSED with 911 services...must have been less than 3 minutes until fire, police, and soon after ambulance.

So now that the cyclist seems to be stable and free from significant injury.....I comment on his bike....ask him how he likes the egg beaters and tell him that he is in the market for a new wheel set...humour was good ;) MOre chit chat....find out he is a soldier, knows my father and is aware I'm riding the 24 hour this weekend with my pops as support....this meeting was meant to be.....could have been worse. Glad to see it wasn't.

Lesson learned.....don't ride at dusk......toward the sun......just freaking dangerous. Man, I'm still vibrating from adrenaline....may need to change careers to paramedic ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment