Friday, August 20, 2010

Road ride...1 wk countdown

Connected with Fil tonight for a bit of a roadie. While I was waiting, I decided to take a map out and look at some other loops that we could do..Fil shows up and some discussion about length of todays ride. Ideas about a century ride were tossed about and smirks were exchanged as we headed out..

The weather was pure and perfect for a great road ride. We decided to head out northbound, further north than our usual cutback east. Stumbled across a little town called Camden East, turned right and was met with continuous new pavement and wide shoulders. I kept thinking about next wknd and what I'm in for....sure, an 80k ride today with, really, minimal vertical and just shy of 2.5 hours of riding is just a few laps in a 24 hour event. Looking forward to testing my mental and physical limits.

Really, no exciting anticdotes or spiritual moments on this ride, other than the fact every climb felt pretty easy and Big ring got it's workout with the small ring feeling neglected...so much so, that I think it's developed a psychosis.....always love this time of year...leg power is there, recovery is so quick that "sufferring" is getting harder to achieve. That brings me to one topic of conversation that was had on our ride....Cyclocross....don't get it...was wondering if that might be the next bike to hang in the garage as this season is soon approaching. Also like the idea that while out for a ride, making lefts and rights are not dictated on whether it's paved or not....I think of it as a nice mediator between the road bike and mountain bike...not sure what antics would occur around 2 in the morning in the garage when they quietly dismount from their wall hooks and chill out to some of the garage tunes, but isn't that just better to let them deal with their issues on their own?? :)

Stats are interesting:
2 hr 30 min
76.1 km
30.3 km/hr avg....yummy
52.6 max
avg CAD 87; max 114(proves I'm not a true roadie..)

Timex.....can't wait to pick up my freakin POLAR HR strap from my buddy.....
2 hr 39 min start/stop time...inclusive of a phone call received by fils wife on my cell that she was locked out of house......thatta boy....ride kept on and was lengthened ;)
In zone 1 hr 15 min
77% avg HR
92% max....min 36%.....standing baking in the sun while fil speaks his foreign tongue to his woman
2275 Calories...replenished with recoverite, on 4th glass of wine(sister visiting) and some Pad Thai

Plan.......this is a tough one....have some invites for a Sunday night ride but it's supposed to rain on Sunday. I JUST CLEANED MY MT. BIKE and swapped out my cable housing with some cool electric blue....this bike is going to be tested in a week.....I'm thinking, rest this wknd...family time is priority. Maybe throw the camel back on with some tunes Sunday and head out for a 3 plus hour ride and maybe explore a little area called Parrot Bay, just for fun...and then, realistically....I'm going to stay off the bike for the rest of the week. Oh yeah, ordered this video called 24 solo about this guy (can't recall) who was 7 time 24 hour solo champ...should be good. Hope this comes early in the week. Back to my whine and discussion with a sis who I rarely get to share space with in my living room. PEACE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment