Sunday, August 8, 2010

A little bit o this and a little bit o THAT!! SNAP!

Another great wknd at the cottage. The only difference was that it was just Jac, me and the kids. Weather was beauty all wknd and the little boat was used for a couple "family" puts around the lake. Even got the canoe out and ripped around an island or two to wayfind the rocks that I once knew every hazard on the lake......time to refresh that memory for next year....that announcement will have to wait :)

Brought the mountain bike with and was planning to ride home via the Cataraqui trail. Now, let me just clarify rail trail......it's flat......which means no climbing or descending, which translated into a 4 and a half hour spin. I had this nervous feeling in my gut that I was going to meet up with a bear this ride...luckily, other than a hissing and snapping moderate to large snapping turtle, no wildlife thought I would make a good dinner. Came across a car about 10 km past Chaffey's locks that was parked on the rail trail....mighty suspicious and when I looked further into the woods a makeshift tarp tent.....kept on moving after that one.

This ride was in a word...punishing. Punishing because I thought, for one, pumping up my tires to 50 psi would be a good idea.....even with my ergon grips, it was hard to find a comfy position. I had with me 3 L of Heed and a lg water bottle with a 4 hour prep of Perpetuum...I'm now over the taste of Caffe Latte. For substance, I also brought a shot block. Now weekends at the cottage are not the most .....ummmm.....healthy ways for me to treat my liver. My wife and I let loose both nights doing quite well to put a dent in the beer we brought up and managed to find some interesting frozen treats...see below:


This morning it was humid and misty with rain. Not the most ideal weather for what I figured would be a 70-80 k mountain ride..no hesitation though..I've got a 24 hour SOLO to train for in a matter of weeks. The hammies were not happy nor was my Keester for the first 30 minutes to an hour. After that hour in...hammies were good but the keester....not happy with me right up until....now. I was changing between big ring and middle/lower predominantly just to keep the ride a bit novel. Nice look out over a bridge that was just passed Chaffey's locks:

Not much to really comment other than the fact I got spit out at Perth road village, freaked out the staff at the little store by just walking around for about 5 minutes before the rather attractive female from the back room asked if I was looking for anything in particular. They were probably looking to get me out of there as I was dripping sweat and probably not smelling too well with over 50 k of riding in at that point. Did see some home made butter tarts and added a gatorade to the equation and fired that back before mounting my steed and making my road ride back south on Perth road.

This is when it kind of got a bit miserable....rain and moderate head wind....for the remainder of my 33 k ride back home. Meandered down unity road and connected with the K&P trail to get me home. Tired....wife had sandwhich prepped for me....taking my last bit of energy to finalize this blog before I retire to the basement for some channel surfing: Stats san HR monitor as I forgot it...

4 hr 20 min
83.6 k
19.2 km/hr
54.4 max

Plan...my riding buddy fil is back from saving lives out West and reports a sprained ankle from canyoning....road ride either tomorrow or Tuesday (probably Tuesday) to catch up with fil and then every second day get some riding in whether it be road or mountain to prep for 24 at end of August. *Yawn* couch beckons.....

No comments:

Post a Comment