Monday, August 23, 2010

Recovery ride?? MOre of a ripper!!

You gotta love a great training partner..the kind of guy that makes it literally IMPOSSIBLE to say no to any scheduled ride unless circumstances are absolutely dire or death is imminent. My plan was to just be mellow this week....that changed quickly last night when I got a text inviting me to a "recovery ride"...now we all know what this means....it means Fil was looking forward to taunting me on every hill and challenging me with some pace lines.

It's funny....much like back in my University days, discussing that we were just going to go out for a "couple" beers and behave always turned into an absolute tabacle (sp?)...this is like the "recovery" ride with Fil....It all went wrong/right when as I was unloading the bike and about to clip in we saw this fit dude ripping through town about 40 plus k....it was ON!!!!!!! We were hammering through town, maintaining visual with our target and closing in..first climb, Fil challenges and it's a freakin hammer fest :) This guys cut left and we kept on straight for our scheduled loop...never did see him again, must have chosen an entirely different loop.

So, this ride essentially became a pretty good tempo ride with some decent alternating attacks on climbs and some ~ 50 plus k/hr pace lining our last 12 k. Came close to getting clipped with a "wide load trailer"...instinctively dropped a few gears and tried to get sucked in to the draft...a few seconds too slow on the trigger finger and not enough brute power to catch up...Hear a nasty PING and got airborne following Fil about 2" from his rear tire in a tight draft when I hit a pretty nasty rock WHICH, Fil now that I know you know about this blog....you neglected to tell me about ;) and am impressed with the campy wheelset and fondriest frame for absorbing that one...did cause the bars to drop into a more "aggressive" mode though....could have been worse...great way to end the ride.

NOW...my plan is to stay off the bike...odds are looking good on that one...we'll see..STATS san Polar

Timex:
1 hr 30 min
approximately 50 K...I think
In zone 55 min
76% avg HR
94% peak
45% min
1494 Calories

2 comments:

  1. cool man...lot of riding in. You are ready. Obviously expecting a personal best...but do you have a goal/number of laps to share?
    wishin' I could be in two places at once.
    word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tommy 12-15 is my ideal...Have a great trip in DETROIT ROCK CITY YEaahhhhhHH

    ReplyDelete